Antibiotics represent a major category of human and animal health products produced by fermentation and biotechnology. Principal antibiotic categories include: penicillin’s, cephalosporins, macrolides, aminoglycosides and teracyclines. Many antibiotics are available as therapeutics ‘as-is’ [e.g. penicillin V] and can be transformed to semi-synthetic derivates [e.g. amoxicillin via 6-APA]. Within the past years considerable research efforts have been devoted to developing novel antibiotics that can combat life-threatening infections such as MRSA [methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus] and several novel antibiotics have appeared in the market.
The following aspects of the antibiotic business are reviewed:
• output of all antibiotics and semi-synthetic derivates
• price levels of antibiotics
• profiles of antibiotic producers
• current manufacturing costs of various antibiotics and semi-synthetic derivates and how they compare with sales prices
• projected market for antibiotics and outlook by 2020